Thursday, April 5, 2007

Paying through the nose

There is a saying "Paying Through The Nose" for something that you pay a very high price. We are doing it for gas. The origin of this colorful colloquial expression could be a reference to "The Danish poll tax on the Irish in the ninth century: The story goes that the Danes slit the noses of non-payers," or "The Vikings required the payment of tribute from cities they did not raid. If the king refused to pay they would slit their noses so they pay through the nose." Perhaps our Scandinavian daily photo friends can chime in.

This morning, I filled up my small car which uses, unfortunately, premium, the most expensive gas at the pumps. For 12.057 US gallons (about 45.6 liters) the cost was US $34.95 Of course, there is no more service anywhere at gas stations in Miami and people pump their own gas. I know, I know, it is still cheaper than many cities of Europe, but I want to move to Dubai.

Paying through the nose

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Our gasoline is $2.65 a gallon. Yesterday my wife of 52 years paid $2.51 per gallon.

Brookville Daily Photo