Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Baby Rainbow

A few days ago, I showed you a beautiful tree, the rainbow eucalyptus... Then I was thinking, I must have one. Look how lucky one can get. I found one. This one came up as a root sucker off a 2 year old tree and pronto, here it is. A basal shoot, root sprout, adventitious shoot, water sprout or sucker is a shoot or cane which grows from a bud at the base of a tree or shrub or from its roots. This shoot then becomes a singular plant. A plant that produces suckers is referred to as surculose. I really did not know that Eucalyptus deglupta is surculose but I am glad it is.

I hope I can grow this to maturity and have some good colors among the very boring all green all year round in Miami when you look around. I believe it will take at least two years before the bark of this tree begins to shed.
Baby Rainbow

No comments: