Monday, September 3, 2007

Bambino

I couldn't believe it when I saw this Fiat 500, the 500 Nuova (or new) here in Miami. Often called the Bambino it was one of the most popular cars to ever leave Italy and has become an Italian cult icon.

Originally, in 1957, the car was a two cylinder air cooled unit that provided a much lighter design and with only 13.5 hp, as much weight as possible had to be shaved off to get the tiny car up to the top speed of 85 km/h. This one looks like it's dated 1958 because it does have side windows that can be rolled down. Later models are 500D with 17.5 hp, 500F with 19 hp and top speed of 95 km/h and 500L in 1968. This is no Ferrari, but what a thrill to see this Bambino in Miami, at its tip top condition.

Italian Beauty

3 comments:

Fabrizio Zanelli said...

You are in right. Here it's a cult and an icon. I showed it in July when an happening introduced the new one :-) -- Thank you to this photo. I really really love it :-)

TOG said...

I know that some people like such cars, but I would prefer a nice pair of new walking shoes. Back when the VW bug was popular in the early 60's I always opted for a pair of shoes.

Ann (MobayDP) said...

It does look like the owner has really cared for this car. Look how shiny and new it looks!