Sunday, March 25, 2007

Lady Spiny Orb-Weaver

Spiny orb-weaver, (Gasteracantha Cancriformis.) The spiny orb-weaver spider is one of the most colorful and easily recognized spiders in Florida. The dorsum of the abdomen is usually white with black spots and large red spines on the margin. Specimens from other areas may have the abdominal dorsum yellow instead of white, may have black spines instead of red, or may be almost entirely black dorsally and ventrally.Females are 5 mm to 10 mm long and 10 mm to 14 mm wide. Males are much smaller than females, 2 to 3 mm long, and slightly longer than wide. Color is similar to the female, except the abdomen is gray with white spots.

The colloquial name for this spider in parts of Florida is "crab spider", although it is not related to any of the families of spiders commonly called crab spiders, e.g., Thomisidoe.

It was not easy to focus on this lady Orb-Weaver because she was floating with the breeze among the branches of the live oak tree. She is about 10mm wide as seen from under her belly. This is her permanent Miami residence in our backyard and we must remember not to walk through and destroy her web, although I guess she can spin a new one in no time. The white spot in the lower part of the web is one of her many meal tickets that she caught.

Spiny Orb-Weaver

11 comments:

Ms Calabaza said...

great photo!

Kalyan Panja said...

Beautifully captured shot!

Anonymous said...

I like spiders. I have favorite spiders here. Unfortunately, they die each fall and I have to introduce myself to new spiders each spring and summer. I like the blue eyes on some spiders. I also note their intelligence and have told spiders to please move their webs over so I don't stumble into it the next morning. And, lo, they are moved the next morning. You can say that is nuts and to some people it is nuts but to me and the spider we know how to understand each other. I give Nature some respect and get some back. I like spiders and everything else here around me.
720 pixels

Victoria said...

Amazing photo, you really captured the beauty of the spider and the intricate web. And I agree with Abraham, spiders are amazing creatures.

angela said...

A beautiful photo. The spider is so clear and thanks for the information too.
Angela

Curly said...

I've never ever seen a spider like that, thanks!

South Shields Daily Photo

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Here is a link to a spider I took with my my camera last summer.
Barn Spider

Thanks for visiting my blog.

I hope you like it.
720 pixels

Dayngr said...

Amazing. I had often wondered what these spiders were called and had no clue. Thanks for sharing this.

Deb said...

sorry I missed this earlier! One of the coolest images I've seen within the DP world lately!!