Monday, March 29, 2010

Who Are You?

I give up! Is this Calliandra, or is it Mimosa? I am sure many of you will say "Who Cares?" But I now know one more thing after many a minutes looking around...

Plants are complicate things. For this pink powder puff here, know that it comes from the Kingdom Plantae, Subkingdom Tracheobionta, Super Division Spermatophyta (what's that you say? It means they have seeds,) Division Magnoliophyta (they produce flowers,) Subclass Rosidae, Order Fabales, Family Fabaceae (they produce peas.) You are still with me?

Then come the Subfamily Mimosoideae, Tribe Ingeae.

Now come the two Genus: Calliandra and Mimosa! They are cousins! I really looked but can't find a good clue to tell them apart. I should have been a super charged bio-botanist, if there is such a species, but sadly, I am not. DNA, anyone?

How Can You Tell

No comments: