Sunday, May 13, 2007

Remember Mothers

The celebration of Mother's Day can be traced back to Greece in the 1600's, and later in 1872 in the US. In 1907, Mother's Day was first celebrated in a small, private way by Anna Jarvis in Grafton, West Virginia, to commemorate the anniversary of her mother's death two years earlier on May 9, 1905. That started the national tradition of all Mothers being honored throughout the US on Mother's Day in May. Mother's Day is today, May 13th. Flowers, phone calls, family reunion and treats for Mothers in restaurants are traditional gifts for Mothers; and Mothers do not have to do any work today if they don't feel like it. Breakfasts served in bed on Mother's Day is the way small kids say they love their Moms.

Departed Mothers of course are not forgotten so visits are heavy at local cemeteries. There was a big traffic jam at this cemetery where I came to bring flowers and pay respect to one Mother; and to reflect on all Mothers resting here.

Mother's Day

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. This is a nice shot of those who are no longer with us.

I have celebrated this day, Mother's Day in my country, with a magazine cover for my wife. I hope you can see it.

me said...

Hi there,

I would like to invite you to a blogger meetup. Please email me @
cageybutterfly@gmail.com

Thanks!
Miami Vegan

Michael Salone said...

Thank you for this post. My mother now looks out over the Miami skyline where I spread her ashes in the bay. She would have wanted to enjoy the sea and the skyline.