Monday, September 17, 2012

Miami Metrorail

The Miami Metrorail, officially called Metrorail, is the heavy rail rapid transit system of Miami. It serves the Greater Miami area. Metrorail is operated by Miami-Dade Transit (MDT,) a departmental agency of Miami-Dade County. Opened in 1984, it is Florida's only rapid transit metro system, and it currently has two lines with 23 stations on 24.4 miles (39.3 km) of standard gauge track.

What is a "standard gauge track," you asked? Here is a close look from beneath one such track. It's all concrete and no wonder they call it the heavy rail system. Driving around in Miami, once in a while, like right this moment, I have to stop under this heavy standard gauge track. I always look up from under it and imagine what would happen to me (and less importantly, my car) if it were to decide to fall down. It won't be a pretty thing to see, don't you think?

This is just a stone throw from the North Dade station after I turn right. This photo is taken from SW 62nd Avenue and the rail here parallels US-1. I love to look at the vine hugging these concrete structures. It's called the Ficus pumila.
Creepy Vine

No comments: