Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bam

I thought some of you may want to see Miami's "Toll-by-Plate" technology at work. Here it is hovering high above highway 878. At this junction, there are only two lanes so it does not look too complicated. I can count (only after looking at the photo I took) a total of 5 transponders (to talk to the electronic sticker on your windshield) and what look like 7 cameras. I guess the theory of operation is quite simple. When the cars pass under, BAM, you are zapped and the computer debits the toll charge from your account. If that cannot be done, the cameras will spring into action. So, technically, if there is a power black out, I can go through this for free! May be not... They probably have aternative power supply! Rats!

Please do not mind the slanted photo. It's not easy to do this at 60 mph highway speed.

Zapped

No comments: