Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lonely Bird

If you feel that you are lonesome... put yourself in the shoes of this bird, a black heron (If you could see, you'd realize that this bird's feet are yellow.) Do birds have family to come back to at nights? Some do, but I am not sure about this one. The Black Heron (Egretta ardesiaca,) also known as the Black Egret, is an African heron. It is native South of the Sahara Desert, including Madagascar, and prefers shallow open waters, such as the edges of freshwater lakes and ponds. It may also be found in marshes, river edges, rice fields, and seasonally flooded grasslands. In coastal areas, it feeds along tidal rivers and creeks. The Black Heron has an interesting hunting method called canopy feeding by using its wings like an umbrella, and uses the shade to attract fish.

This bird startled me with a loud screech when it landed out of nowhere, in this botanical center. I was hoping to see it begin an attempt to catch fish by transforming its wings into an umbrella... but it was waiting for me to scoot so it can fish in peace.

Some herons feed in group, but this one is certainly all alone. I think it's sad to be a bird and I am glad I am not one with feathers and wings. A plus is being able to fly around without having to buy airline tickets... but I don't want to be alone. That's a bad deal, no, thanks!
Alone

No comments: