Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Winged Seeds

I can't wait forever for the experts to give me an answer so I am having my own theory regarding this T. sp. The beautiful red flowers you saw did last a long, long time and they went through some interesting color changing cycles. Now they have become winged seeds. I parked my car about 10 meters away from this tree today and after about 3 hours, more than a dozen of these brown three-winged seeds landed on it. From red, the flowers turned milky white as can be seen at the top of this photo, then brown which is the color of the fuzzy winged seeds. I hope the seeds I now have will germinate some day. I still would like to know how these flowers get pollinated. There is also a theory that the ants that nest inside the branches have something to do with that.
Seeds

No comments: