Saturday, May 5, 2012

Epinephelus Dinner

Tired of fast food on weekends so I went to the Captain Tavern fish market today for a new taste. I found it in these strange looking fish that I never tried before. That is what I was looking for so Epinephelus drummondhayi it is for dinner tonight. Commonly called the calico grouper, kitty mitchell and speckled hind, these fish are the strawberry groupers. Their natural habitats are open seas, shallow seas, subtidal aquatic beds, coral reefs and they are found in Bermuda and the US ocean waters. The name speckled hind speaks well of the spots that cover their reddish-brown entire bodies. Still fresh in my mind about what I said in my blog yesterday, may be I shouldn't have had these for dinner, but I did. They really do not taste like grouper, but rather like snapper. I would classify them as fat snappers. I think these fish may be on the endangered species list, and do hope that they are legal. Too late! Calico

No comments: