Thursday, February 14, 2008

Be My Valentine!

If you are familiar with the traditions of the United States of America, you may know that today is Valentine's Day.

The history of Valentine's Day -- and its patron saint -- is shrouded in mystery. But we do know that February has long been a month of romance. St. Valentine's Day, as we know it today, contains vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition. Today, the Catholic Church recognizes at least three different saints named Valentine or Valentinus, all of whom were martyred.

According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'Valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl -- who may have been his jailor's daughter -- who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still in use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the stories certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic, and, most importantly, romantic figure. It's no surprise that by the Middle Ages, Valentine was one of the most popular saints in England and France.

Me? I have no one to take a photo for me on Valentine's Day today, so I did it myself, through a looking glass. Here is me with the Valentine tie that I wear once every year on Valentine Day. Don't feel too sorry for me, I may be joking, but the photo is through a looking glass. That part is true.

Happy Valentine Day

2 comments:

Kim said...

This is such a clever photo (and whoever irons your shirts does a nice job!)
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

Ann (MobayDP) said...

lol :) Whimsical inteed!