Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Trichechidae Manatus

In Miami, there is a very beautiful ocean front park called Matheson Hammock. I go here as often as I can find time. Today, in Matheson Hammock, I caught glimpse of a big fellow who is a resident of Miami's waters: a manatee (Trichechidae Manatus.) Manatees inhabit the shallow, marshy coastal areas and rivers of the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico. This big fellow (may be 10 ft) comes to inspect a boat anchored at a boat launch and people was feeding him (could be a her, not sure, but it's big, leaning on being a her) lettuce. Half a manatee's day is spent sleeping in the water, surfacing for air regularly at intervals no greater than 20 minutes. It looks like life is good being a manatee. No work, all play. I would like to be one if I could, but I'll stay away from boats' propellers.

Manatee

3 comments:

Ann (MobayDP) said...

Ha! That reminds me of my cats! :)Sleep all day, sleep all night. No work, just sleep, play, eat, play, sleep. What a life! :-D

Anonymous said...

Nice photo. Good story behind it too.

• Eliane • said...

Je n'en ai jamais vu un de près, à part au zoo. Je commençais à me demander si ils n'avaient pas complètement disparus.