Saturday, September 15, 2007

3rd and 8

This is American college football in its second week of a new season. The University of Miami Hurricanes plays at home hosting Florida International University (FIU - Golden Panthers,) a newly emerging competing university among more established UM - Canes, University of Florida (UF- Gators) and Florida State University (FSU - Seminoles) in the state of Florida. The stadium is the Miami Orange Bowl, on its last leg of a long life as it will be demolished to become a baseball stadium for professional baseball teams. FIU is white, on the attack and Miami is Orange, on defense. This is the third try and FIU needs to advance the ball 8 yards (past the orange marker to the right) to keep possession of the ball and try to score. FIU lost today with a score of 23 - 9 Canes win! When you go to a college football game, the action is not only in the field, but it is everywhere in the stadium. I took about 4 dozens shots all of which deserve to be posted, but this is the only one that makes it. There is a guy (student) in front of me that was texting the entire second half and I have some shots of his cell phone's screen flirting with his girl friend in the dorm... Yes, I can read his text. In other words, lots of fun for a Saturday at the ball game. Go Canes!

Canes Win!

6 comments:

• Eliane • said...

I've never been to an American Football game. I admit I have a hard time understanding why they run between those stripes, then stop, then run again,... Soccer (my football), that I understand.

Hey! No spying on the lovebirds!!!

Lan said...

Of course I couldn't read his screen live, but on my 5 Megapixel images, he has no place to hide. I was right over his shoulder. This guy is a pro and he text amazingly fast with two thumbs on a tiny cell phone key pad. I told him I may blog his screens and he said to go ahead. He didn't care. There were three iPhones in the crowd that I spotted. They were all taking photos and texting merrily. Hi-tech students at their best! You should try to go to the year end American college bowl games. They are the best for fun.

Steve Cuddihy said...

Excellent photo. I too am posting a football photo, except my football boys are a bit younger. Nice job.

TOG said...

I grew up with the stadium. It's sad to see it falling apart, but then I'm sad that I'm falling apart. Unlike the the Orange Bowl, I don't plan on giving up. Please post other pictures of the stadium.

Curly said...

I love the game and years ago played as a receiver for the Newcastle Senators here in the UK. I have a Canes baseball cap in my collection too.

South Shields Daily Photo

Unknown said...

I work for UM Information Technology, and would like to use your picture to print on one of our flyers. Can we have your permission to use it? contact me at d.valdes@umiami.edu